Codington is a caring learning community.
Codington Elementary School is a caring learning community of students, parents, and educators operating in a year-round schedule. Together we utilize the year-round schedule to create reflective growth, teamwork and communication that helps empower students to be successful in and out of the classroom.
- School begins at 7:30 a.m. The tardy bell will ring at 7:35 a.m. Students arriving after that time must be accompanied to the office by an adult to sign in and get a pass before going to class.
- Students who are not in their classroom by 7:35 will be considered late, but will not be counted tardy unless they arrive at 7:35 a.m. or later.
- The building opens at 7:05 a.m. for breakfast only and breakfast closes at 7:35 a.m. We encourage parent drop-off students to arrive between 7:05 and 7:30. Students may not arrive before 7:00 a.m.
- Dismissal begins at 2:10 p.m.
- The After School Program operates from 2:10-6:00 p.m.
- The school phone (910) 790-2236 is answered between 7:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
The following information pertains to procedures that will help those families that choose to drive their children to or from school. As most of you know our traffic pattern is difficult with parking lots, crosswalks, entrances and exits all being in one location.
Therefore, DRIVE SLOWLY AND BE WATCHFUL FOR CHILDREN WHILE ON SCHOOL PROPERTY. As often as possible have your child(ren) ride the bus. We have excellent drivers and it is the safest, most efficient way for children to get to and from school. The safety of children is paramount!
In order to get our children safely unloaded/loaded quickly, we need everyone's cooperation!
Please read carefully and follow the guidelines.
Please read carefully and follow the guidelines.
MORNING CURBSIDE DROP OFF
- Please come early, you may drop your child off at 7:00 a.m. (7:00a.m. doors of building are unlocked). In order for your child to be on time, they should be out of their car and walking no later that 7:30 a.m.
- Be prepared to let your child out as soon as they get to the front edge of the side walk. (Have homework signed, backpacks ready etc.) Watch the supervisors and move forward as directed. Do not wait until your child gets up to the awning as this slows down the line.
- Rainy days are the most crowded and it takes the longest to get children unloaded so come early and have your child prepared with a raincoat or umbrella so they can depart when requested.
- Our supervisors will watch and help open doors for children as needed. Please model common courtesy and respect as you interact with the supervisors. Please do not let your child out on the road side. Also, stay in your vehicle. If you would rather help your child out of the car please park and then escort them to the covered sidewalk.
- Stay in the curb lane only, during drop off. Stay in line and do not pass other vehicles unless specifically directed by the supervisor. Stay in the curb lane and be close enough so your child can step out on the sidewalk.
PARKING AND ESCORTING CHILDREN INTO THE SCHOOL
- If you choose to park, do not park in the parking area closest to the school. Use the back parking areas.
- Escort your child(ren) to the covered sidewalk.
- NEVER LET YOUR CHILD OUT OF THE CAR AND WALK UNESCORTED INTO THE BUILDING DURING MORNING ARRIVAL.
- Keep your children close to you (holding their hand(s) especially younger children) and cross at the crosswalk only at the direction of the crosswalk guard.
AFTERNOON CURBSIDE PICKUP
- Please stay in your car and pull forward to the loading area as children are dismissed.
- Supervisor will help children into the cars as needed. Have your doors unlocked. If you have an automatic door please open it as soon as possible as your child approaches.
- If you are loaded and the cars in front are still loading, you may pull to the (THIS IS FOR AFTERNOON PICK UP ONLY) outside lane and slowly go around the other vehicles, being ready to stop at the crosswalk.
- If you park, please go to the front of the school and wait for the announcement. When leaving, cross at the crosswalk and keep your children close to you and be alert to the traffic-loading children.
- The South side of the school (facing Carolina Beach Road) is for school bus and employee vehicles only.
I know that we all have the same goal to keep our children safe. Please keep these guidelines in mind. Call me if you have other thoughts and suggestions to keep our school a safe and pleasant place for all.
From Hwy. 74-76, 421
Cross Cape Fear River (Memorial Bridge), Enter Wilmington by way of Dawson St.
- Turn right at the 3rd St. light. Follow Hwy. 421.
- Hwy. 421 turns into Carolina Beach Rd.
- Cross Shipyard Blvd.
Codington Elementary School will be on your left across from the 2nd entrance to Echo Farms.
I-40 turns into College Rd (Hwy. 132)
- Follow College Rd. south.
- Turn right onto Shipyard Blvd.
- Turn left onto Carolina Beach Rd (Hwy. 421).
Codington Elementary School will be on your left across from the second entrance to Echo Farms.